Saturday, November 24, 2012

Movie Review: Life of Pi

When I first heard that Life of Pi was going to be turned into a movie, I was stunned. The book is very thought provoking and it's pretty much a boy stuck in a boat. Also, the simplicity of the storyline yet the impactful message is what made me like the book so much. So I asked myself, how on earth were they going to make this into a movie? I was skeptical but when I saw the trailer, I had to go watch it. The imagery was quite beautiful.

So on Thanksgiving, I decided to go watch it with my family. I did prepare myself though; I made sure not to have high expectations. I kept telling myself to keep an open mind to the artistry of the movie.

Was it as good as the book? Yes and no. I have to say that I give Ang Lee props for being able to pull the movie off. Like I mentioned before, I could not visualize seeing this book turned into a movie. I thought that I would watch a boy stuck in a boat for two hours and that I would be very bored. Instead, I found myself captivated by the scenery (even if it was computer graphics). I loved the colors and I also loved the acting. The downside of the movie was that it was not as thought provoking as the book, especially the ending. The ending was not as impactful as it was in the book. Was it because I knew how it was going to end? Probably, but I did enjoy how I felt when reading the book versus the movie.

Overall, I liked this movie. If I have to rate it according to my book ratings, then I would give it 3.5 stars. I will admit, I did share a few tears here and there throughout the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment