Monday, May 25, 2015

Audiobook: Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335991551l/13539221.jpgRead by Jenna Lamia & Holter Graham
Time: 6 hours 48 minutes

In the beginning, there was an apple - And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker's head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal. Just when Eve thinks she will die - not from her injuries, but from boredom - her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy. Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?

Audible



My Thoughts: How far would humanity go to create the perfect human? I was piqued at the idea of female creating male. It was the complete opposite role of what was in the Bible.  I decided for the audio version, since it was read by two different people, so I could experience the two perspectives of these two authors.

Eve & Adam had an interesting plot but it didn't always hold my attention. The opening started off strong: Eve being in a car accident and her mother insisting to take her away from the hospital. Suspicion immediately arose with Eve's mother, Tera, especially when Tera told Eve to work on an experiment in creating the perfect man. The whole back story of creating Adam and what the scientists were actually working on was fascinating. Unfortunately, I was not too keen with the romance factor between Eve and Solo as well as Aislin's chaotic life. I was not able to connect with these three characters so I found myself not caring much about them. Whenever the story strayed away from the scientists, I had a hard time trying to focus. If the plot only concentrated on the evil behind the experiments, then I would have enjoyed this book a lot more.

However, it was not all bad. What made it great was how the book was presented with the two readers: Jenna Lamia and Holter Graham. They would switch between chapters to either read Eve, Solo, or Adam. They were excellent narrators for they knew how to express their characters very well. They made it very easy to picture the characters and plot with their tone and emotions. It was refreshing every time these two would switch off, which helped with the whole focus issue. They were an excellent team.

Overall, this was a decent book. The plot was not as strong as I hoped but the presentation was great. The idea of creating your own perfect human was interesting but I do not think that I'll continue with the series. I rate it:




No comments:

Post a Comment