Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Audiobook: Stranger in My Arms by Lisa Kleypas

Stranger in My Arms, Lisa Kleypas
*This is a historical romance that has explicit love scenes.*

Read by Rosalyn Landor

Duration: 10 hours 53 minutes

 

"Lady Hawksworth, your husband is not dead." With those words, Lara's life turned upside down. Hunter, Earl of Hawksworth, had been lost at sea. Or so she'd been told. Their unhappy marriage - with its cold caresses and passionless kisses - was over. But now a powerful, virile man stood before her, telling secrets only a husband could know, and vowing she would once again be his wife in every way. While Lara couldn't deny that this man with the smoldering dark eyes resembled Hunter, he was attentive and loving in ways he never was before. Soon she desperately wanted to believe, with every beat of her heart, that this stranger was truly her husband. But had this rake reformed - or was Lara being seduced by a cunning stranger?

 

Audiobooks.com

 

My Thoughts: What do I do to get my mind a break from the craziness in my life? Why I listen to a Lisa Kleypas' book, of course! I absolutely adore Kleypas' books. They are fun, sweet, and steamy. The reader for this production, Rosalyn Landor, makes the audio experience even better! Though Stranger in My Arms was not perfect, I did highly enjoyed it.   

 

This was the story of a strong-willed woman named Lara who fought hard not to fall in love with the stranger who claimed to be her husband. Lara did not have a happy marriage with Hunter, so when she thought he was dead, Lara felt relieved. At his return, Lara was terrified in sharing his bed again and wanted to live a separate life. However, Hunter refused to let his wife run out of their marriage. What made matters more intriguing was the fact that no one, Lara included, knew if Hunter was really Hunter or if he was an imposter. 

 

The side story with Lara's sister was also gripping. It was very sad to hear the abuse that the sister went through at the hands of her husband. I feared for her safety the whole time and prayed that she received a happy ending. I also found myself wishing for something horrible to happen to the sister's husband. He made my blood boil.

 

Lara's strong character was both admirable and annoying. Lara stood strong to what she believed in, was very charitable with the poor orphans of the city, and did everything possible to protect her sister. Of course, her strong character made her very stubborn. The way she constantly pushed Hunter away got a little exasperating. I wanted to yell at her to stop being stupid, to listen to her heart, and just do her husband. Yes, I completely understood why she wanted to avoid Hunter like the plague, but it became a little ridiculous after a while. 

 

Hunter, on the other hand, was a delicious character. At first I wanted to dislike him for all the bad things he did to Lara before he left for India. But after he returned from his so-called death, he appeared to be a different man. He absolutely loved his wife. He respected her, yearned for her, and wanted to protect her. He was also very alluring. He was the main reason why I was hooked to the book. 

 

What did not sit well with me about the book was the resolution. Not to give any spoilers away, but I did not like how things ended with Hunter. I highly believe that honesty is important in a relationship and I did not see this at the end of the book. I would have preferred a different kind of ending. 

 

Now, Rosalyn Landor is one of my favorite audiobook readers. She reads all of Lisa Kleypas' books and she always does a fantastic job in doing it. She has the perfect British accent, knows how to bring the characters come to life, and puts emotions to the situations. It is never dull when listening to Landor, which made this production quite entertaining.

 

As a whole, this was an enjoyable read. I loved Hunter's character and I enjoyed the plot line, even though I did not like how the story ended. The best thing about this book was that it was able to make me forget the real world for a few hours. I rate it:

4-stars.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment